Hello! My name is Opinder Baidwan.

I am currently studying at UNBC in Prince George. I am a teacher candidate in the Elementary Teaching Program. I grew up in Prince Rupert, BC and have been living in the Okanagan for the last 6 years. I enjoy hiking, travelling and spending as much time out in nature as possible! I did not understand the gift of growing up in a small town until moving away. Smaller communities such as Prince Rupert allow you to deeply connect with the land, people and place, which I now understand as I go back and visit to see the fierce community spirit.

My little brother Sehaj, is a key reason why I’m in the education program. He was always my biggest supporter and still continues to be my guiding light. His death was a traumatic event in my life which I am still continuing to process. One thing I know for sure is that, there are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains. As I continue my journey in education I’ll carry my brother’s values with me, in how I interact with my students, with positivity, excitement and heartfelt energy.

Travelling is when I feel the most alive and excited about life. Each place I visit has unique culture and food. I notice the value of connection everywhere I go. When I share my personal travelling stories and pictures of the places I have been, students show interest and excitement which leads to conversations about culture and different types of animals in different countries. Sharing a part of me allows me to connect with my students.

My superpower is my ability to connect with students. When I’m around young children, they tend to gravitate toward my calming and fun spirit. I find special ways of making connections with them and allowing them a space to feel heard and valued for their unique abilities.

My passion for teaching stems from making connections with young children on their interests. Watching them speak passionately about topics that interest them and seeing their individual growth over the course of a school year is rewarding. I believe it is important to build therapeutic rapport with students to ensure a sense of safety, connection, and trust. I also want to use restorative justice principles in the classroom as it can empower students to practice conflict resolution methods; fostering inner healing and self-growth.

Being vulnerable allows us to connect on a deeper level with our students. If we don’t allow ourselves to open up, we essentially start to build walls and barriers, slowly disconnecting from the students. In order to understand our students, we need to understand ourselves. It’s important for me to recognize my own triggers and use regulating strategies when I’m supporting my students.

My journey in education started three years ago, however, as a young child, I knew that I always wanted to always work with children when I grew up. I always had a special way of connecting with young children and seeing how creative and curious they are intrigued me. I feel that whenever I am around children I am able to spark a connection and find unique ways in communicating with them. I worked as an educational assistant at Claro Learning Centre in Kelowna, supporting neurodiverse children for the last three years. Claro is a small inclusive community of positive and amazing souls that inspired me to continue my educational journey in teaching.

My future classroom will look very supportive, inclusive and interactive. Students will feel valued and safe in the space to discover their inner creative abilities. I will have a sensory responsive learning environment that filters to the needs of all exceptionalities.

I was able to transfer my skills as a community support worker and a youth worker by allowing me to think critically on the spot and create individual plans to support various of behaviors. I believe my various job experience’s will be an asset to the teaching field as I have learned valuable communication and people skills.

As a learner, I feel that I am always interested in learning from those around me. I find that I learn a lot about patience and resilience from children. I strongly believe that “children do well if they can”-Ross Greene, creating an atmosphere where children are able to feel valued, safe and creative. I want to find one strength in each of my students and build from there. I believe it’s important to have all children feel special and heard.

My future classroom goals are:

• Incorporate conversations about Truth and Reconciliation
  • Focus on connection, communication and collaboration
  • Engage in meaningful and cultural Indigenous learning
  • Have an inclusive classroom for all students and teach in diverse ways
  • Incorporate Restorative Justice and conflict resolution values in the classroom
  • Focus on strength based approach for all students
  • Emphasis on student-centered learning
one of my favorite places on my travels was Prague- such an enchanting city!
My friend Kim from Claro <3 Christmas 2021 Gellatly Nut Farm
Christmas 2019- My little cousin came to visit <3