Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and understanding of areas they teach.

I think I did a great job of demonstrating a broad knowledge of the topics I was teaching on. In my formal lesson observations, I received positive feedback on how well I presented my knowledge to the class during my lessons. I also felt confident when I was teaching my lessons because I felt I knew what I was talking about. I chose lessons that I was passionate about and ones where I had done some research and thought of ways to incorporate diverse learning opportunities for students.

For my Indigenous unit, I tried my best to get knowledge directly from the Indigenous Education department in the district. I also went to the public library to get a historic book on totem poles of Prince Rupert. I provided my students with a variety of resources for the lessons I was teaching. I felt that giving them many examples would help them understand the concept and develop their own understanding of the content.

For all my lessons, I also spent time organizing, practicing what I would say for each section and if I was unsure about a topic or details, I did my research. It was important for me to understand all my topics because in order for me to feel confident about my lessons, I needed to be able to explain them thoroughly and answer any questions that the students may have about the topic as well.

I believe I had a variety of lessons for my first two practicums that demonstrated my ability to demonstrate a broad knowledge of topics I was teaching. I also taught a unit on First Nations perspectives where I did my research and read up on the various crests. I also reached out to a variety of community partners in the hope of preparing authentic lessons for my students.

Doing lessons plans for practicums has been helpful as the process has allowed me to connect with the BC curriculum website and going through each criteria on the lesson plan allowed me to envision the whole lesson. Thinking back to the first time I worked on a lesson plan, it took a while for me to write it all out however, now after my second practicum and planning for my third, I feel that I am confident in each of the sections and my ability to write each lesson plan effectively has improved. I also have noticed that the time it takes me to complete one is way faster than when I first started writing them.

• I will strive to find unique and creative ways to address new topics that align with the BC curriculum.
  • I will continue to assess my teaching methods and find new ways to monitor student progress as learning and teaching is always evolving, there is always new ways to approach assessment.
  • I will keep and open mind to new teaching strategies and approach my teaching and assessing through a growth mindset.