Educators contribute to the profession.

Summer 2023 I spent doing this course “the basics of decoding and spelling instruction” which was recommended by my first coaching teacher. I have been interest in this and have been talking about it to other teachers, emphasizing how amazing the program is.

I have a passion for social emotional learning and I am planning on doing a 3-4 week program one day after school where students join me and we do sharing circles about various topics. I am also passionate about teaching students about coping strategies for loss and restorative justice practices. I plan on incorporating these values in my after school groups.

I was trying to find ways to share apart of myself and teach students something new when I thought to myself that I could do a Punjabi lesson and a bhangra dancing lesson for my PHE and language formals. Students were engaged and they seemed to enjoy the learning something new. During my last week, I had the students reflect on my ability to teach and share favorite lessons with me during my 10 weeks with them. Majority of them wrote down “bhangra dancing” and one wrote down the language you taught. This was extremely rewarding as it showed me how impactful it all was. One student wrote, that not everyone gets the chance to learn bhangra dancing and he was happy he did, so awesome!

I had another student who kept writing her name in Punjabi after we finished the lesson. The days following until my last day at the school, she would always write her name on her worksheets in Punjabi. She always felt so proud to show me. It was truly rewarding. She expressed that she enjoyed writing it and learning a new way of writing her name, so amazing!

Teaching the students the Bhangra steps.
Teaching the students the Punjabi Alphabet~ students enjoyed decoding!