In Block 4 now, I am starting to think about my inquiry that I will be implementing for my final practicum.

My draft action plan for the fall practicum:

1.) write down all successful routine management strategies to implement for the beginning of the year

2.) Read blogs/books on supportive year start strategies.

3.) In my first week implement strategies that my coaching teacher has already started and suggest new ones if there are any that I notice could work.

I want to focus on communication and connection while I am in the class so I would like to have a little communication board in the classroom where the students can suggest what is working and what is not. They can also give suggestions on how to improve certain tasks in class for better classroom management. I like this method as it supports student centered learning and it is engaging and inclusive for the students. Each day, I will focus on reflecting on the management strategies used in the day. Examine what is working and how to make adjustments going forward.

How will you ensure that everyone involved knows they are expected to DO something different?

I would have open discussion with the class and let them know my intentions which are for their days to be positive and successful. I would explain any new classroom management strategy that I would like the class to try for the time that I am there. I would model that behaviour and expectations daily as well. I would remind students of the expectations as the days go on. There maybe some challenges and as things happen, I will address them.

How will you make sure they have the time and support to try out new actions?

There is 30 minutes of reading/flex time in the mornings so I would take some of that time to just address the new strategies and remind students of the classroom expectations. At the end of the day, I would give students an opportunity to give their feedback on how the strategy was supportive for them. I will also have a section on the board where students can give their feedback anonymously.

How will you provide opportunities to learn from what is working – as well as from the challenges faced – when trying out new approaches?

When I am reflecting at the end of the day with the students, I would take each suggestion and reflect again with my coaching teacher to see how the strategies could be adjusted. I think each day is a learning experience and it is important to reflect on what works and what does not.