Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

During my first two practicums, I was aware of the leaders in the class and so I made strategic decisions to pair those students up with the ones who needed more support. In my second practicum, I noticed that this one girl appeared upset when I paired her with two students who needed more support, and they may not have been her preferred peers. I pulled her a side after and chatted with her. I let her know that I saw her as a leader in the class and that she demonstrated positive attributes of a leader which could help support her peers in group discussions and lesson activities. She seemed more understanding of this after our conversation. She advocated that she was never with her other peers and she always felt like she was leading the group more than other were putting in effort. I validated her feelings and tried to give her a break from the groupings alternating who I would pair her up with. I think it is important to pair students up in a dynamic where they can practice being leaders and also feel equally stimulated in discussion and the activity.

As a student teacher, in my classroom, I created a safe and inclusive learning environment by encouraging a variety of learning supports such as ‘think pair share’, ‘group discussions’ ‘carousal activity’ and sitting at the carpet during lessons. Each child learns differently and is stimulated in a variety of ways. I wanted to incorporate a variety of methods in my teaching style to reach all the students.

I recognized the importance of cultural identity in the classroom and during my Indigenous unit on totem poles and crest designs, I leaned on my Indigenous students who were more knowledgeable in this area than I was. It gave them an opportunity to share their knowledge with their classmates and to connect with what they are learning on a more personable level.

Opportunity for learning

It was my last couple days of my second practicum. We were in the forest and the students were playing a variety of tag games with one another. This one more quieter and shy student was standing by the adults. I had remembered my coaching teacher mentioned that she does not like being in the forest as she is afraid of flies and often will just stand around. I noticed her kicking a stump looking down. This was my opportunity. I went up to her and showed her a stick and a rock and how to use the rock to sharpen the stick. I shared my experience from grade 7 social studies when our class got to make wooden spears as we were learning about the Stone Age. This girl appeared fascinated and as she continued to sharpen her stick with the rock, I noticed how in minutes she was engaging with nature and learning a new skill. All it took was an opportunity to show her something and connection. It was such a defining moment for me because as her peers came towards her she excitedly told them what she was doing.

I knew that this student would most likely be open to learning because although she had been quite in the beginning of my practicum. It took her time to warm up and connect with me. It was a series of days of making little connections with her that allowed me to approach her and in return her reciprocal engagement.

Two things I learned:

• Opportunity for my student as a learner. I learned that if students appear stuck in their learning environment, I can find creative ways to engage them in a learning opportunity.
  • Opportunity for myself as a learner and teacher