“Kids do well if they can”

Dr. Ross Greene

Dr. Greene’s approach on the collaborative proactive solutions (CPS) model is inspiring. He believes that kids would prefer to handle themselves in more adaptive ways, however sometimes they do not simply because they lack the skills. Dr. Greene think that it is the teachers job to figure out what the disconnect is between what the child is doing and the outcome.

I agree with Dr. Greene’s philosophy, as I believe it is important as an educator to figure out what supports are most effective for students that are struggling with the day to day routine. It may be a simple change to the day such as adding more frequent body breaks when sitting for longer periods of time or incorporating mindfulness and breathing breaks to help with anxiety.

Student centered approach

My teaching approach incorporates a lot of the student autonomy for certain things such as asking them what they are interested in learning in the topics that we are covering for certain subject units. As well as allowing students to represent their learning in a way that they feel comfortable and confident in doing whether it be orally, written or by creating something.

Giving students opportunities to be leaders amongst their peers and teach the class something they are passionate about. I would like to incorporate some time in the month for students to be the teachers. They can take the time to research a topic and present it to the class.

Culturally responsive teaching

I would like to establish an inclusive classroom that acknowledges the varieties of experiences that students have and honor the diversity. One thing I noticed when I was in schools, there were no examples of people of color represented when teacher gave examples whether in visuals or names for math problems. I want my students to be able to see themselves in academic spaces.

I would say that my teaching philosophy is a mix of progressivism, existentialism and behaviorism. I think it is important for students to learn with a hands on approach as well as having individual choice and the opportunity to modify their behaviour when something is not working out.