After completing my second practicum, I have started to focus in on an area of my inquiry. After noticing how a classroom can become chaotic when classroom management strategies are not regularly reinforced my focus is to reinforce the management strategies that help manage the classroom.

“How do we know? Why does this matter?”

Being at Blackburn Elementary observing in a Kindergarten-grade 2 classroom, I noticed that the students in these classes were well behaved and knew the expectations that the teachers had for quiet desk work. They also showed positive listening skills while the teacher was going over the lesson and story time.

Whereas, Some classes during my observations this year, I noticed were less structured. There was this one Kindergarten grade 1 class that was focused on play-based learning. I am very much for play-based learning, however I found that the classroom was disorganized, chaotic and there was no structure. I didn’t see any learning prompts being focused while playing. The whole vibe not my style and I realized I would need some structure in my class routine for it to feel less chaotic with students running around being very loud.

Some challenges with this inquiry

Some challenges that may affect the inqurity are things like not having enough data to get enough evidence to support my theory and action. Although throughout the past year of this program, I have visited several classrooms to get an idea of what classroom managament
What popped out at you during the scanning phase?

Consistency is key, maintaining the classroom expectations and rules. If you say yes to one student for something then others may question why the rules for them were different.

What additional evidence do you need? How will you gather it?

My plan is to gather enough data during my practicums that will help me with my inquiry.

What are some strengths that your learners show in this area?

Some strengths that I noticed in classroom management during my practicums have been students showing leadership in the classroom and helping to manage behaviour. For example, at lunch time, if certain students started lining up at the door for the bell to ring, there would be students prompting them and reminding them that it was not ready to line up yet. I also noticed students reminding their peers to clean up their mess and reminding them of the class routines.

How could you build on these strengths? What can you do more of more often?

If students are not showing the expectations, fore example, not properly walking expectedly in a line in the hallways, having the class walk back again properly to reinforce the expectations.

What is going to make the biggest difference for your learners?

Being consistent with rules and expectations as well as being firm when needed.

What can you most effectively tackle over the next few months?

Developing my teacher voice.